Where We Work
- In South Africa, one in every 5 children is orphaned.
- The majority of orphans live in grandparent or child-headed households solely reliant on government grants for income.
- 54% of children do not complete secondary school.
- The 2007 UNAIDS report estimated that 5,700,000 South Africans had HIV/AIDS, or just under 12% of South Africa’s population of 48 million. In the adult population the rate is 18.5%. The number of infected is larger than in any other single country in the world.
- There are an estimated 3.7 million orphans in South Africa – close to half of them have lost their parents to AIDS-related diseases and there are many more children living with sick and bedridden caregivers.
In Matatiele, Eastern Cape:
- 38% of the population is unemployed
- 47% youth unemployment rate
- Of those aged 20 years and older, 8,2% have completed primary school, 38,4% have some secondary education, 12,8% have completed matric.
- 87% of households are food insecure.
- Statistics from Stats SA, UNAIDS, Matatiele municipality, Unicef